The answer is yes and no. This is an “adventure” park that involves fun; active adventures therefore your dog should be in reasonably good health to fully enjoy their visit with us. To ensure the safety and well-being of all dogs that visit our adventure park, we require vet health records that certify your dog is healthy and disease-free. State law does not allow us to give dogs injections; therefore any dog that requires injections (such as diabetic) cannot attend our park. Our park is also closed to any dogs with communicable diseases or parasites. We can accommodate minor health issues such as ear infections, arthritis, glaucoma and cancer depending upon the severity of your dog’s condition.
Because this is an outdoor adventure park, are there other animals at the park that may hurt my dog?
The answer is yes and no. Because this is a rural, wooded environment, there are animals that visit/pass through the area. The most common animals we see are deer, turkey, rabbits, owls, squirrels, cats, chickens, cows and horses. There are also armadillos, raccoons, opossums, mice, lizards, snakes, fish and buzzards in the area. We have never had any problems with animals in the area and from our experience with the smell, sight and sound of a pack of dogs, animals generally avoid coming near or into the adventure or kennel areas where the dogs are located.
NOTE: Because this is a wooded environment, ticks are common, especially in warmer months. Mosquitoes are also common in the area. Therefore, we require flea/tick prevention as well as Heartworm prevention to ensure the health and well-being of your dog.
What safety measures are in place to make sure my dog will be safe?
We have the following safety measurements in place:
· All adventure areas are field tested with STAR K9’s own experienced agility dogs to ensure they are safe and dog friendly prior to any of our visitors playing in the area.
· We have different adventure areas. This ensures your dog is placed in the best adventure area that fits their particular needs.
· Each adventure area contains dog friendly structures and items to prevent/minimize injuries.
· Each adventure area is equipped with safety entrance/exits.
· Structures are equipped with commercial grade slip resistant tape to minimize slip injuries.
· Structures within the adventure areas are kept to a minimal height to prevent/minimize jumping injuries.
· Water structures are filled with fresh, chemical-free water and have low water levels to prevent/minimize water injuries.
· Toys are safe and dog friendly to prevent/minimize toy injuries.
· Ground surfaces include soft, smooth stones to prevent/minimize injuries and bacteria/infection.
· Sandboxes are filled with soft, dog friendly sand to prevent/minimize digging injuries.
· Our fencing is heavy duty, high quality customized material to be chew resistance, climb resistant and equipped with anti-digging prevention measures.
· Fencing height is a minimum of 5 feet tall for smaller dogs and a minimum of 7.5 feet tall for larger dogs.
· Digging prevention measures are utilized throughout our park.
· Fencing is checked by staff on a daily basis to ensure there are no sharp edges, damage, etc.
· We are a chemical-free facility.
· Through our extensive, automatic watering system, fresh, chemical-free water is provided 24 hours/day to all of our visitors.
· We utilize natural, chemical-free products to sanitize areas and items throughout our park.
· We utilize natural, chemical-free products to clean and bath our visitors.
· We use natural bedding material.
· We do not use any pesticides or chemicals anywhere in our park.
· We are tobacco-free facility.
· The entrance gate is closed and locked after business hours.
· We utilize heavy duty locks on gates and kennel areas.
· We have security systems that monitor the park 24 hours/day.
· We have motion detection security lights throughout the park.
· Our park is located in a safe, rural community with very little traffic.
· Kennel and adventure areas are located in a safe, secure area of the park away from roadways and neighboring buildings.